Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Aged and Infirmed…

The Tahoe broke down on me and Erin the other night and left us stranded.  It started acting crazy and the oil and engine lights came on.  I immediately pulled over and called Tommy.

We had it towed to the shop and $1000 later, it’s the spark plugs and wires.  They are the originals so there is little doubt they needed to be changed.  It’s an 8 year old truck with only 120,000 on it.  That’s not high mileage for a truck of that year. 

Of course while it’s in the shop I started assuming the worst and went on line to price a new Suburban.  Tommy told me that it wouldn’t be something major wrong with it, but he thought whatever it was would be expensive.  He was right.

I wouldn’t say I have a terrible case of New Car Fever, but the spark is there (pun intended)!  The new Suburbans, Tahoes and Expedition XLs are really nice.  I’ve pretty much talked myself out of another Tahoe. I think I want something a little bigger.  So, it would come down to the Suburban and the Expedition XL.  I never thought the Ford would be in the running but our friend Bridgette got one and she loves it.  (And they were a Tahoe family too!)  They have most of the same features but they’re a lot less expensive.

So, maybe sometime before Christmas we’ll put our plan in motion and get me something new.  I think we’ll finally sell Old Blue and Tommy will get the Tahoe.  Who knows.  We have time since there isn’t a pressing need to go in debt to the tune of $60K!

It’s funny when I say it’s 8 years old because it really doesn’t seem like I’ve been driving it for that long, but I have!  We need another 8 and 120,000 out of him.  Anyone that knows Tommy knows that he demands at least 250,000 miles and 20 years out of a vehicle.  He keeps his trucks forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment