Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Birthday Present

All I wanted was a simple swing/slide combo for Erin for her birthday.  I surfed the net to find some ideas and got started.  I sketched out what I wanted and I asked my dad for help.  As usual, anything for me and especially Erin and he was more then eager. 
I wanted 2 swings and a slide.  I told him I wanted him to make it "build-on-able".  Meaning, I wanted to be able to build on to is as Erin grows.  Right now we don't need all the bells and whistles.  Well.... Daddy didn't get the memo.

He didn't want to make it out of pine because EVERYONE makes their swing sets out of pine.  He wanted cedar.   Nothing but best for our little Erin.  So, we have cedar.  He said we might want to add another swing, so we bumped it up to 3 swings and a slide.  Then, the slide needed a platform for her to climb up on.  From there, Daddy wanted to put a cedar shingled roof on it.  LOL!!  I said no, no roof.  Then he wore me down.  So, Erin's swing set will have a roof on it.  (We settled on the canvas swing set tarp.) 

Then... Daddy wanted to add a water feature.  He suggested hollowing out one of the legs on the swing set and putting a pop up water sprinkler on it.  From there, he was going to tap into Tommy sprinkler system!!  LOL  Yes, it's a cool idea, but a little much!!!  Then he decided she was going to get hot out playing on the swing set and "designed" a wooden, retractable patio umbrella!!!  I had to say no to that too.  She'll just have to get hot!!!  It didn't kill me or Tommy!

He's been so busy building it in his garage, that his neighbor decided they want one.  So, when Daddy finishes Erin's swing set, he's building one for the neighbor's 1 year old granddaughter! 

I pick on him, but my Daddy is so good at this stuff.  I have no doubt that the water feature and the retractable umbrella would have been great, just a little too much for a 1 year old!!!  He is sooooo excited about this project.  He took Erin over to his house today so he could show her. 

Pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment