It was literally a dog fight around here this morning. I had been forgetting to give the dogs their heartworm pills until this morning. You have to give them with food and I kept forgetting at meal times. (We won't even comment on what a wonderful pet parent I am!)
They had both eaten so I came back into the room with the pills. I gave Scooby his and had to wrestle Mae to make her take hers. In the middle of giving it to her, Scooby ran up to us. Mae got ticked and the fight broke out.
When I call it a fight, it really was a fight. They were making a ton of racket and all I could see was a ball of fur and teeth. Neither of them cried out and neither of them backed down. Mae is a scrapper, so I thought she might hurt Scooby. I thought wrong. Scoobs held his own.
They weren't going to stop until I tore them apart. Against my better judgment, I went in. I pulled them apart - one in each hand - and they were still lunging at each other and making those deep throaty predatory growling sounds. When they finally got calmed I let them go. I looked down and there were tufts of Mae's hair on the floor and Scooby was limping. I guess that makes it a draw.
After all that, I'm not even sure they both got their pills! And now they're playing like it was no big deal. I really am glad it happened after Scooby has been here a while. I would have been even more worried about it if he hadn't already settled in.
Moral of the story is to give them their heartworm pill while they're in there houses (kennels). (Erin calls them houses.)
No comments:
Post a Comment