Saturday, May 16, 2015

Wild Horses…

It's no secret that my sister and I love the horse races. When we were younger we would go stay with my Grandma Mary and her husband for a week every summer in New Orleans.  My Pepaw John used to talk about going out to pick up the paper.  This meant he was going to buy the racing form.  Other kid's grandparents took them to the zoo and other attractions in the Big Easy.  Ours took us to the Fairgrounds Track for a little pari-mutuel betting.  None of my friends can brag that their grandparents had a bookie.  And I'm 99% sure his name was Bootsie.

Back in the 70's it was no big deal for a kid to go to The Track and buy a ticket.  I remember Pepaw John explaining how to bet to win, place or show.  I remember the longshot really is a sucker bet and that every once in a while you can hit a Trifecta.  I remember taking my money up to the window and having the lady print me out the ticket.

When we were younger, Amy was the picker of the winners.  We sat for a full day of racing one day and Amy picked several winners.  I remember Pepaw John betting on some of her predictions.  I've never been lucky at the ponies.  Although I understand most of the stats related to horseracing, I still base most of my decisions on the horse's name.  Crazy, huh?

To this day, my sister and I still love the horse races.  I love the pomp, costumes and splendor they bring out for the Derby.  Being at Churchill Downs that first Saturday in May is on my Bucket List for sure.  I even like the excitement of the Preakness.  The singing of Maryland, My Maryland by the military choir.  It's the "middle child" of the racing world, but we all watch it to see if we have a Triple Crown contender. 

My sister and I have been known to call each other if we can't be together in person on race days.  We both take a similar position when watching the race.  You have to pace while they're in the paddock and you have to stand to watch the race.  You cannot sit down.  It's impossible.  You have to stand in place and bounce around and pace.  It's the law.

This year is no disappointment.  We have a Triple Crown contender and the first person I tried to get a hold of is my sister.  I need to know if they'll be coming to my house so we can watch history be made.  There have been others win the Triple Crown but we were small kids and didn't know what was going on.  We both want to see it happen in our lifetime.

So, you can bet that come June 6th I'll be geared up to watch the race.  We'll be singing along as the bad Frank Sinatra wannabe sings New York,  New York at the Belmont.  I can hear the Rat Pack singing along now.

I want to hear them say that American Pharaoh wins in a photo finish!  I want it to be a good race.  I want it to be one I'll remember for years to come. 

Riders Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment