Friday, September 20, 2013

Red is Bad...

Erin's class has a color system.  Green is good, Orange means you got a warning, and Red is bad.

Erin has been on red for the last 3 days.  She decided that her and the rest of the class don't need to nap anymore.  The afternoon teacher told me Erin has been walking around at nap time disrupting the nappers trying to get them to talk and play!

We've talked to her and had to take away the DVD/TV time in the afternoons.  We call it "Movie Time Out".  She loves to watch a little bit of a movie or TV after school while I'm fixing dinner.  We decided if she's going to be on red at school there has to be a punishment at home for it.  Well, actually I decided that.  Tommy thinks the teacher is just being hard on Erin!  Seriously!!! LOL

So, we pick her up and I check the board.  Once we're in the car we talk about it and she tells me she was on red like she's proud of it.  When we get home, the first thing she tells Tom is that she was on red today.  It's crazy. 

Erin doesn't get upset about the Movie Time Out either anymore.  She did the first day, but now understands why she is being punished.  She is good during the morning at school, but at nap time the wheels come off the wagon.  I can't think of another punishment for her besides going into regular Time Out when we get home, but that seems like she wouldn't understand exactly why.

I really don't know what else to do.  How do you punish your kid for something you did as a child too?  I remember getting N's and U's in conduct quite a bit.  I would get in trouble and it was change for a little while, then I was back to talking and getting in trouble.

Tommy can hardly keep a straight face about it.  He talks to her about it too, but sometimes he has to look away because he starts to laugh.  She is so earnest about it.  She's proudly tell us she didn't take a nap. 

She got in the car the other day and we were talking about it.  I told her it makes me sad when she gets in trouble because she's a good girl not a bad girl.  She immediately told me that Luke got Red too that day.  (I nearly busted a gut trying to keep from laughing.)  Luke was actually on Orange that day.  It makes me feel for the teachers.  They have both Mize kids in the same class.  I know when they're good, they're really good.  But... when they're bad, they're really bad too!

I'll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest sending Erin to school with the same color stickers so she can put her teachers on the same color system and see where they gets her. :)

    ReplyDelete