Erin was moved to another class last week. She changed teachers yet again.
When we started the year with Mrs. Laney I had such high hopes. She was the only certified teacher at the school and had been there for years. She was strict and didn’t put up with much bull. But most importantly, I knew Erin would learn in her class. She had a set curriculum and knew from years of teaching what worked with 4 year olds.
Fast forward 2 months… Mrs. Laney leaves very abruptly. The school promotes one of the other teachers, Ms. Isabel, to Erin’s class. It’s sort of strange because her son, Aaron, was in that class. (Yes, they were known as Girl Erin and Boy Aaron.) She had a different teaching style and was not a certified teacher. She still didn’t put up with much bull so we were getting used to her. She changed the routine and Erin acted out a little for a while.
Fast forward 2 months…Erin gets settled in and used to Ms. Isabel’s style. Boom, Ms. Isabel leaves because she moved and the school was too far from her new house. They promote one of the young girls to Lead Teacher. She is super nice and we like Ms. Paige a lot, but there is a control issue in the class. It was not Ms. Paige’s fault. When Mrs. Laney was the teacher they stacked the deck. Mrs. Laney was experienced and they gave her most of the “problem” kids. I actually requested her, so Erin was put in with them. Not all of the kids were bad, but most of the bad ones were in there. I didn’t know that that when I made the request for Mrs. Laney.
The Director of the school pulled me aside two weeks ago to tell me she was moving Erin and a couple of the other good kids out of the class. She said the good kids were eager to learn and followed the rules, but were suffering because of the other kids were such discipline problems. So, Erin again has a new teacher, Ms. Karen.
So far we really like Ms. Karen and I wished Erin was in her class from the beginning. I didn’t realize how much Erin was losing out by being in the class with the bad kids. Apparently all of the teacher’s energy was being spent on keeping those kids under control. We were just happy that Erin was on Green everyday and reaching Super Star status at least once a week that we didn’t realize how bad the class was. We thought she was really doing well because she never complained about it.
We really would like Erin to have some continuity at the school so she can learn. She’s like a little sponge and loves to experience new things and learn. She is so creative and loves to do the art projects. I can already see a difference in her in this class. I pray that Erin gets to stay with Ms. Karen until she starts Kindergarten in August. She needs the consistency that comes with stability. She is a lot like her Daddy and likes things to stay the same and go smoothly.
Finger’s cross Ms. Karen doesn’t bolt on us too!
No comments:
Post a Comment