Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My New Ice Cream Truck…

 

Well, it’s here.  I picked up my work van last week.  But, like everything with me, there is a story with it.  Nothing is ever easy, right?

I flew up on Wednesday and had to take a taxi to the Dallas Operations Center.  That never happens in the SF world, so it is a bit unusual for someone to roll up in a taxi.  I felt like the Beverly HIllbillies.  My friend Geoff was there to greet me.  He recently moved to that office and I hadn’t seen him in a while.  We arranged lunch and he was my tour guide for the day.

We got to Transportation and there was no one there.  I mean no one.  After waiting a little bit, a woman showed up.  She dug thru a bin and found my “packet”.  She handed it to me and that was that.  The only thing she asked was whether or not I was turning in another car.  I asked her a couple of questions and she had no answers.  So, we left.  The packet contained the keys, a toll tag, the registration and proof of insurance.  That was it.  No instruction, no nothing.

I got in the van and of course, it had no gas.  It only had 10 miles on it when I started it up so I assume they brought this parking lot full of fleet vans in on 18 wheelers.  I stopped at a Tom Thumb to fill up.  10 minutes later, I was still trying to figure out how to open the gas door.  It’s a Chevy, Chevy’s don’t have gas door latches… but they do.  I found the latch and attempted to use the company card to pump the gas.  It was in my packet with no instructions.  The stupid thing was asking for a zip code before it would let me access the card.  I tried my own since I technically work from home, then it occurred to me to try the Austin office zip code.  Luckily I knew it from giving out the address so many times.  It worked. 

I pulled out of downtown Dallas and got about 50 miles before a light on the dash came on.  I pulled over and got out the manual.  From what I could find, it was something with the brake system.  I called Transportation and of course my contact was gone for the day.  I talked to another guy who told me if the light was yellow it was okay to drive, but needed to get to the dealership soon. If it turned red, I needed to pull over and call a tow truck.  Great.  I headed home on a wing and a prayer.

Here is where I thank the boys on my team.  4 of them called to see how I was doing in the new ride and to check on me.  I talked to them and passed the time on the way home.  They are such nice guys.  I really, really like this team.  They all got a good laugh at the broken down brand new van I got.  I guess the new fleet really did go to the lowest bidder.

I played with the XM radio and navigation system.  When I tell you that, it makes it sound like this is a tricked out ride.  It’s not.  It has those 2 features and that is it for the bells and whistles.  It does have cruise, power locks and windows, but even the steering wheel doesn’t tilt!  You can tell it’s very much a work van.  There is a spot beside the driver’s seat for a clipboard!  It also only has 2 cup holders but plenty of spots to plug things in.  It also has USB ports in it.  Nifty.

There is a built in desk in the back that SF added.  It has 2 drawers and 2 racks that attach to the shelf on the desk.  The office chair is bolted to the floor but does move back and forth.  It’s got some sound protection on the walls but the ceiling is uncovered and the road noise makes it sound like I’m driving a Diet Dr. Pepper can down the road.

I took the van to the dealership the next day and had to leave it.  Turns out it was a sensor in the wheel.  They didn’t have the part there and had to order it since the van is so new.  It will be in next week.  Problem is that I have to take my van out for the day again and not schedule any appointments.  Inconvenient for sure.

The ladder rack was interesting.  It’s hydraulic and works very well.  I figured out how to use the handle and get the ladder rack down.  I loaded my 28 ft ladder on the driver’s side since I don’t use it often.  I wanted access to my 20 ft ladder from the curb so I put it on the right.  The ladder rack swings it down, but still not far enough for me.  I think it’s made for a 6 ft man and not a 5’7 woman.  So parking on the curb helps when I lift it off and gives me a little more height.  I manhandled it on there and managed to practice getting it off the rack.  But…. there are these spring loaded things at the top of the rack that I can’t figure out. 

Tommy and I spent 30 minutes in the driveway playing with this part of the rack.  Neither of us could make it work.  I went to Youtube and there was nothing.  I Googled it, nothing.  I called the name on the rack and they just put their name on it, they don’t make them.  She told me to call the manufacturer and she gave me their name.  Called and got a nice man.  He said there is no video or instructions on loading the ladder.  Nice.  People that use ladder racks apparently are born knowing how to use them.  I asked him about the spring loaded wicker-deals and he said he had no idea.  Great. 

The way Tom and I got the ladders up there I knew they weren’t coming off and that it was safe to drive.  I talked to the other Angela on my team yesterday and she said that you have to unbolt them and put them the height of your ladder and bolt them back down.  It’s supposed to give the ladder more security when you’re driving and I think it will cut down on the rattling.  Now I just have to climb up there to fix mine.  Good thing I have a ladder!!!

Here are some pics.  Daddy’s first comment when he saw it was how ugly it is.  He’s right.  I’m going to tint the front windows as soon as I can.  I don’t want neighbors knowing it’s me!  Thankfully, SF doesn’t wrap their vans or put magnets on them.   We cruise up in full on Chester the Molester van with no markings!

 

IMG_0555

IMG_0556

 IMG_0557

 

  IMG_0559 IMG_0558

 

IMG_0560

No comments:

Post a Comment