Saturday, August 13, 2011

An Expert In His Field

I married a Grill Sargent.  Everyone that knows Tommy knows he isn't much on the indoor cooking but can totally rock the house with his outdoor cooking.
In 102 degree heat this weekend, he's cooking outside! On the menu: Brisket, ribs, fajitas!

One brisket is for Florida.  It's a monster 16.5 lbs.  The second brisket is much smaller and for us to keep in the freezer as a throw down meal.  He's cooking ribs because he already had the fire going from the briskets, and you can't waste a good fire.  He likes to have them in the freezer too so he can defrost and snack on them during football season when the Texans are playing out of town.  (I think they're better when we're watching the Cowboys, but that's just a matter of preference.)  The fajitas are for my mom's birthday party tonight.  They are actually still marinating.  Those will be done on the gas grill instead of the smoker.

Like any good professional, Tommy has his equipment.  I won't bore you with commercial for Weber products, and ALL the accessories we have to go with them.  His most important piece of equipment is his uniform.  Some cooks prefer an apron or special monogrammed shirts, not Tom.  He prefers a torn up 10 year old Roger Creager t-shirt and an equally holey pair of worn out Tommy Bahama shorts.  I've tried several times to throw them away because the smoke smell is permanently embedded, but then I came to my senses.  As long as he's cooking his wonderful barbecue, what difference does it make that he looks like a homeless guy?

(As his older wife, I can appreciate that he doesn't like to get rid of the old things.  He prefers to hang on to them in case he needs them again later!)



The whole uniform.



















The hole uniform
(Up close of the shirt - one of many holes and a large hole on the shorts where the pocket goes)

No comments:

Post a Comment