Sunday, January 19, 2014

Three Mizes + Two

Introducing Scooby Mize.

Scooby joined our family last night.  Erin was with my parents so she hasn't met him yet, but Mae already loves him.  It was a rough introduction with a lot of growling and lunging, but I held on to her.  I let them sniff it out and then put her down.  They sniffed some more and then immediately started playing.

We've been up this morning for an hour and they've only stopped playing to take water breaks.  Mae hasn't torn anything up and Scooby seems to be enjoying the playing as well.  So, I think it will all work out.

He's a really sweet little guy.  He's very timid of us and the breeder said it would take him about a week to get used to us.  He doesn't seem to be the jumper that Mae is, but like Tommy said - she'll teach him bad manners.  He's more at ease with me, but I think it might be that Tommy is so tall and broad.  Tommy hasn't gotten down on the floor with him yet either.  I've been crawling around all over the place.

Without going into the whole long story...the breeder was a very strange lady. But, I've found that most "dog show people" are weird.  They didn't make that movie about them for no reason.  She and her husband kept us waiting in a Wal-mart parking lot for over an hour and a half last night.  They pulled up and Tommy said he was going to give her some quotes until I pointed out the handicapped license plate on their SUV.

The woman had silver hair in a bun and a huge bow the size of her head on top of it.  She had on a faux fur vest and put me in a huge bear hug the minute she saw me.  She smelled like old lady perfume and dog.  It was not a good mix!  The old man had had a stroke and was very unsteady on his feet.  He was making me a nervous wreck until he sat down on the bumper of their truck.  So, Tommy didn't give an quotes but was still ticked at all 3 of us!

Scooby was butchered by the groomer.  We'll have to let his hair grow out and then take him to our groomer.  She'll do a much better job on him.  Right now he's a diamond in the rough.  Anne, the breeder, had told me he was white so I was expecting a white Schnauzer.  He's actually a Phantom.  That's when they are black on top and white underneath.  In the Schnauzer world, Phantoms are very sought after.  They eventually turn Salt and Pepper after a couple of years.  Scooby is now Salt and Pepper.  He looks a lot like Mark and Steph's dog Bailey.  (Bailey was a phantom too!)

They were standing at the door last night looking in when Tommy remarked that they looked like Fritze and Roxie standing there.  Yikes!  They did.  I unconsciously bought a solid black female and a salt and pepper male, just like Fritze and Rox!  I'm sure Freud could make something out of it, but in my opinion it was all coincidence.

I haven't gotten a chance to snap any good pictures of Scooby yet.  When I tell you they've been playing non-stop I mean it.  Here's a couple I popped this morning.

I'll keep you posted on his assimilation into the family.











No comments:

Post a Comment