Friday, April 4, 2014

And the Winner Is...

Got my second round of Allergy Testing done.  I met with the doctor afterwards and he said to put off any surgery that the other doctor at that practice recommended.  He wants to start me on allergy shots to see if that will give me relief.

I am allergic to all the grasses they tested me for, ragweed (everyone is allergic to ragweed), mulberry trees, dust mites and cats.  I think there's something I'm forgetting too.  Anyway, he said that I have the kind of allergies that can be treated with shots but are pretty much unavoidable in our area.  He said the pollens from the grasses are so small that they can travel 50 miles in the right wind conditions.  Cats are the only thing I can avoid, but I'm not severely allergic to them and I'm not around that many cats.  So, all that yellow pine pollen we see everywhere doesn't impact me that much.  Yay!  The downside is that I'm allergic to things that go all year round instead of just Spring or Fall.  Lucky me.

I thought it was interesting that the ENT was all about doing the surgery while the Allergist was more about NOT doing the surgery.  He was quick to tell me that it might help me for sure, but he thought the shots would do more for me.  Go figure.  In the same practice and they both want me to do their specialty.  I like the more conservative approach and will take the shots until the end of the year to see if they help.  The only problem is that you go once or twice a week and you have to go into their office to get them.  I had such a reaction for the things I was allergic to that they won't give the shots without a doctor/nurse being there.  I guess they think I'm going to croak or something.

I know Erin has allergies too but I'm hesitant to take her because I know they will want to do those allergy tests on her and the 2nd round of testing hurt.  I can't imagine her laying there while they do them.  It would break my heart.  So, until then, I'm treating her with Allegra and assuming she has many of the same kind that I do and we'll just have to treat her year round.

So for now, I keep the Wistner nose instead of looking like Jennifer Aniston after going under the knife!

No comments:

Post a Comment