Not that I think the daycare is the cause of all Erin's discipline problems, but I think some of them start there. She is just a very inquisitive observant child. She tends to notice everything and want to touch, hold or smell it. I find myself saying "look with your eyes, not with your hands" more then I ever thought possible.
It's very hard to remain patient and in check when your kid tells you NO over and over and refuses to do things. She has started whining like a baby and talking in baby talk. She was never a whiner so this is really strange to us. I think she picked that up at school. I could handle it if it was just the whining, but it's the NO coupled with the whining that drives me up the wall.
Erin has gotten in the habit of talking back and telling us no. She refuses to do what we tell her and sometimes runs from me. I think the main problem is lack of follow thru on our part. If we put her in time out every time she did something wrong she would NEVER be out of it.
Anyone out there have any suggestions for discipline that don't involve spanking or time out? I need a positive reinforcement system.
They are on red, orange, or green at school and she understands the consequences of being on red will follow thru at home, but I can't use that system at home. I've tried it and it doesn't work. They also use a star system, but I'm not sure she responds to that. I check the blackboard every day and she usually has one star while others in the class have 5 or 6.
I tell myself that part of it is just being 3 and pushing the boundaries, but man it's tough. I don't want to come down on her all the time because with both of us working we like to have time in the mornings and evenings as quality time, not constant punishment time.
We need help!!!
Suggestions welcome, please just email me if you have anything.... angmize@comcast.net
No comments:
Post a Comment