Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Kill Zone...

We have a nice flower bed right outside our window in the back yard.  Problem is that nothing manages to live there!  I have dubbed it the Kill Zone.

It's got sprinklers in it and it gets shade and sun so I can't figure out what the problem could be.  We had azaleas in there since I missed my East Texas Azaleas, but they were looking like sticks when I dug them up.

I decided to take back the Kill Zone.  I researched some hardy plants for that area and went to town.  I picked Bougainvillea and Lantana.  Both are "tropical" and hardy in really hot climates.  The back of the house gets full setting sun so it gets scorching hot back there in the summer.  Bougainvilleas are supposed to be very hardy.  They're a vine, so I bought a little trellis so they can climb.  Tommy failed to see my vision when I was explaining it all to him.

I bought all the stuff and did the whole thing myself.  I had to weed it first because it gets grass in it from the yard guy.  He mows and blows all the grass seeds into that bed and for some reason, it's always full of grassy weeds.  The other flowerbeds all look nice, this one just gets full of weeds.  I guess it isn't a complete Kill Zone since the weeds like it!

Here are a couple of picks of the Kill Zone.  I hope to shoot some more later this summer with them in full bloom and nice and big.  In fact, as I shot these pictures there was a butterfly circling around the Lantana.





No comments:

Post a Comment