Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Out With the Old…

 

It’s Spring Fever around here.  Erin wants to play outside.  Tommy is totally into the Rockets playoffs.  Pollen is in the air and I am cleaning house!  Let me preface this by saying we have a housekeeper that does a fantastic job and our house isn’t dirty.  It was just very cluttered.  We had stuff everywhere and it was all unorganized.

I took yesterday and today off of work to get the job done.  It wasn’t how I wanted to spend my vacation days, but I didn’t want to take a whole weekend on it either.  Right after I dropped Erin off I got to work.  We’ve already loaded up 2 truck loads of stuff and taken it to GoodWill.  By the time I”m finished I want those workers at GoodWill to know my truck! I want them salivating over the great crap I’m bringing them.

I’m not sure who invented totes but the dude is a genius.  I bought 2 cute metal shelves and $150 bucks worth of totes for my project.  When I’m done, it will be the best $250 I’ve spent all year.  I put the shelves together and put one of them in my “Harry Potter” closet under the stairs and the other in the attic.  If you’ve seen the Harry Potter closet then you know, it’s a very deep closet with crap piled everywhere.  All the stuff in there was folded and in totes already but there was no place to put it.  It just got stacked on top of each other on the floor.  Not anymore!  The shelf in there was a brilliant idea.

My one regret is not taking before and after pictures.  I was too embarrassed by the before to take them!  The after looks terrific, but geez, we were living like wanna be hoarders.  It wasn’t so bad that a TV crew was going to show up, but it was certainly more disorganized than I could handle.

So far I’ve tackled Erin’s room, the upstairs guest room, the downstairs guest room, the dining room and part of the kitchen.  I am going to skip the pantry this time because I think I’ll run out of time, but it’s on my list this weekend.  I only stopped working yesterday because even though I was off, I had a 2:00 conference call that I had to take.  It lasted 45 minutes and I was too pooped to get started again.  I called it a day, took a walk around the neighborhood and grabbed a shower all before Erin got home.

Today’s project is our closet, our room, the laundry room and to finish up in the kitchen.  I have a lot to do because our closet is a complete mess.  For someone as OCD as I am, I really let the closet get away from me.  I am going to give away a bunch of clothes and shoes and purses today.  That closet will never know what hit it.

I keep looking at the dining room when I walk by it.  I had put all my stuff from my job there and taken over the dining room table.  It was convenient when I was doing my on-line training 8 hours a day and wasn’t that messy.  I just never moved it once I started going out in the field.  It looked like a Sanford and Son junk yard.  I moved it all upstairs to the spare room up there.  I put up a folding table and this is now my home office.

The only room I’m going to spare in all of this is the game room upstairs with the computer niche.  We both consider this Tommy’s area.  He’s in charge of getting it straightened out.  He took off yesterday too but spent most of the day listing the bigger ticket items on Ebay and our community on-line classifieds.  He’s made some deals and about $100 bucks off of crap I was willing to give away.

One man’s junk is another man’s treasure… come get your share of our treasure before I throw it out or Tommy sells it!

No comments:

Post a Comment