Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Good Report & an Explosion

We were up bright and early today to get down to Texas Childrens's Hospital for our appointment. That place is incredible. The hospital is beautiful and the people are so nice. When you get to your "section", you check in and they give you a pager like at a restaurant. We only had to wait about 10 minutes before it went off. From there we were instantly put in the exam room and seen by a doctor immediately. No sitting in the exam room for 45 minutes.

The doctor we saw was a "Fellow" which I assume means student of some sort. She looked at Erin, reviewed the films and gave her report. The main doctor then came in and basically confirmed what the fellow had diagnosed. (I guess if you're going to learn to be a pediatric doc, this is the hospital to do it in!)

Erin is mending great. The spot that the radiologist was concerned about is where the two broken bones are coming together. There is still space there and it isn't filling in. As it turns out, the bones heal from the outside in. So, the calcification formed around the outside of the fracture is good. It's holding the bone in place and the doctor said it will be months before the bone starts filling in and looking reattached. They want us back in 3 months for another set of x-rays and a follow up.

We got the all clear on travel and no more pinning her arm to her outfits. I am so happy. Erin has a closet full of clothes she hasn't been able to wear. Most of them were gifts so I was feeling terrible that she hasn't been wearing them. But now, I can dress her like the little doll that she is.

Erin is very thoughtful too. After the appointment, we went to lunch and then came home. It was time to feed Erin. I changed her diaper, fed her and she fell asleep as usual. I didn't get the chance to put her in another outfit and didn't want to wake her up to do it. I put her down and tried to lay down myself. I was just drifting off when she started crying. I got up and tried to give her the paci. She wasn't having it. I reached down and picked her up only to get a handful of pooh. Yes, we had our first exploding diaper. It was everywhere in her blanket and swing. Erin was only thinking of me, knowing I really wanted to put another outfit on her. She's giving that way. (We had been warned that this would eventually happen, but it was still shocking. I ran out of wipes while I was cleaning it all up and had to call in Tommy for reinforcements. For reinforcements, and to be grossed out with me!!)

Rox isn't feeling very good today. We're going to watch her tonight and if she doesn't start feeling better, she'll be going to the vet tomorrow. Not sure what's wrong with her. She's moving really slowly and I gave her a treat earlier and she didn't eat it. She's been sleeping under the bed all day, so we're hoping its just a virus. (We get one sweet girl well and the other takes sick!)

Thanks for all the thoughts and especially for the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment